Monday, May 21, 2007

My Head, She Hurts!

Feel like crap. Head is pounding.

Made me think about freelancing. It's a wierd game, there are alot of advantages to working on your own. I like being able to schedule things however I like. If I feel bad in the morning, I can work at night. If I want to go on a trip during the week, I can just work on the weekend to make up the time. You're really in control of you life when you freelance, at least to a point. Then there's deadlines, which you have no control over. Once you're hired to do something, you kind of have to do whatever it takes to get it done on time. I don't believe in deadline extensions unless it's absolutely necesssary - I think it paints a bad picture of you in the eyes of your employer.

That said, being a colorist puts you near the bottom of the totem pole and your work schedule is sometimes rediculously compressed. I've had to turn around a complete issue of a comic in two days. That's 11 pages a day. Generally you're looking at 3 hours a page if it's reasonably detailed work. So, corners were cut. I don't like that doing that but that's how it goes I guess.

I think maybe later I'll try capturing a color tutorial, something simple. That might be fun.

No comments: